Ten Essentials of Hiking
We're big believers in putting safety first around here. Absolutely. Making good decisions and carrying the right gear goes a long way to keeping the dream alive. In this video, host Mike Iem presents each of the Ten Essentials, items that are entirely necessary to take on every hike to keep you and your party safe on the trail. We carry them, you should too.
Here's the list, taken from Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills (Mountaineers Books).
- Navigation (map and compass)
- Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)
- Insulation (extra clothing)
- Illumination (headlamp)
- First-aid supplies (bandages and wraps)
- Fire (waterproof matches and lighter)
- Repair kit and tools (utility tool and duct tape)
- Nutrition (extra food)
- Hydration (extra water)
- Emergency shelter (bivy)